Thursday, September 5, 2013

Dementia is really just a one sided conversation held over the course of years.


Mom, you are coming home after your cataract surgeries.

Mom, your surgery is this morning.

What do mean you had coffee and a doughnut for breakfast? Now you cannot have the surgery.

Yes, they really are refusing to operate with food in your system. No, you really cannot talk them out of that.

No, you cannot come home until after your surgeries - you're effectively blind until then!

No, we cannot just reschedule for tomorrow. We've waited 4 weeks for this surgery appointment. Now you just have to wait again.

No, finding a new doctor will not, in fact, speed up this process.

Your surgery is on the 19th. That's two weeks. That's 14 days from now. It's soon.

Mom, your surgery is this morning.

Good, you didn't eat or drink anything, let's get your eye fixed.

Oh, good, your right eye is clear and you can see again!

Yes, of course your left eye is blurry - it still has a cataract.

Yes, I did tell you that you had cataracts in both eyes. Yes, the doctor did, too.

Your next surgery is scheduled in three weeks. No we cannot do it sooner.

No, you cannot come home until after your surgery - your are effectively blind until then.

Yes, I understand that you want to come home and clean house before anyone comes over.

I really don't think you personally need to vacuum the rugs and make the beds. I will do it. I can vacuum. I can make the beds.

Yes, I understand that you're ready to move now.

No, I don't think it's necessary to start moving you out yet. You move home on Monday. Next Monday. 5 days from now. Fine, I'll just take this basket of things to the house.

No, we're not moving today. We're moving on Monday, after your surgery. The surgery for your cataract, in your left eye. Yes, that's why it's blurry. Yes, you're having surgery. On Monday. Today is Wednesday. Your surgery is on Monday. That's 5 days. Five days from today. I'll just tell you the day before.

Oh, your arm is hurting? The arm you broke? Yes, the arm you broke last year? When you fell? When your arm broke and you had to come here to the nursing home for physical therapy. Yes, you broke that arm. Yes you did. No, I'm not making this up. Your arm was broken. So you've put in a call to the doctor? For your aching arm. Oh, so you think they might not let you go home until we figure out why your arm hurts so much. Oh, I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment